Couches on Fire

A Morgantown Area Music and Culture Blog

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Suggestions + Upcoming...

Hey all,

I'm hoping to redesign Couches on Fire this holiday break, and then we'd like to start putting flyers up around campus trying to inform the unwashed masses that yes, we are here. But before we started all that business I thought maybe I'd ask you, the readers, if you have any suggestions.

Also, it's too late by now but I hope some people are coming out tonight for M. Iafrate & the Priesthood's show. Out-of-towners are Drekka and Vollmar. The former is a side project of Bloomington, Indiana's Turn Pale, who usually channel goth and danceable post-punk at the same time (Bauhaus meets the Liars) but in this form are more compared to Xiu Xiu's creepy ass rantings. Vollmar are, I think, a couple of brothers playing folk music in a style that is compared to Dave Pajo, Nick Drake & Will Oldham. Sounds like a nice evening of alt-country and depressing folk. I'll try to write an account later in the week.

In the meantime, those of you who don't work in Charleston three days a week should count your lucky stars. This week not only will you be able to check out hyperactive new wavers the Epoxies on Monday night with a cavalcade of Myspace-supported punk acts including Against Me, but also get to see Canadian indiepop/dancepunk combo Kiss Me Deadly on Tuesday with newbies Black Giraffe and David Bello and his backing band who change names constantly. I am intensely jealous. Someone better review these shows to rub it in.

Lastly, we are getting another concert by a staple of 80's college rock in January. On Tuesday, January 17th, Camper Van Beethoven will be gracing the stage at 123 Pleasant Street. Surely as big of a coup as Mould at the Rosewood. You may remember Camper Van for their seminal Take the Skinheads Bowling, prominently featured in the documentary Bowling for Columbine. Or, if you will, the non-punk equivalent of the Dead Milkmen. Later, members of the band formed Cracker, whose Low was played constantly on MTV about 1995 or thereabouts. Regardless, mark your calenders.

18 Comments:

  • At 11/27/2005 12:01 AM, Blogger Bryan said…

    Hey Mr. Pennington, very good job sir and thank you for the plug on the Against Me! show. I'd just like to say that you inspired me to start my own little blog that may help some of your readers. It's a little DIY help guide that I will try to cover a certain topic each week. Everyone is encouraged to comment with their personal experiences. I'm hoping everyone can help each other out.

    I'm sorry you can't make the shows.

     
  • At 11/27/2005 12:54 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    What's the address of said blog?

     
  • At 11/27/2005 3:09 PM, Blogger Skull-Shaped Maracas said…

    i find great comfort in the knowledge that i finally get to see CVB.

    the sandra black are huge fans -- they should open.

     
  • At 11/27/2005 3:24 PM, Blogger miafrate said…

    I'm looking forward to the CVB show too.

     
  • At 11/27/2005 3:36 PM, Blogger Bryan said…

    makingmorgantownbetter.blogspot.com

     
  • At 11/27/2005 10:51 PM, Blogger Jeremy Groghan said…

    As for your redesign I think maybe you need that animated GIF of the guy that takes his shorts down and pees as well as the GIF of the mailbox that opens and closes and says "EMAIL" on the side. Also, we should use this new thing they've got out now called "CometCursor" where the normal, old-fashioned boring mouse pointer transforms into a witch or a pencil or something equally fascinating. We should also finance our operation by getting people to download that talking purple gorilla who helps people.

     
  • At 11/28/2005 9:43 AM, Blogger Brian said…

    Bryan, I'll put a link to your blog in our links section, looks like a good read (have to digest slowly since I'm at work) and good luck on the show tonight.

    I think we should put an animated GIF of Calvin peeing on the Grafitti 'logo' (and I use the term loosely) a la NASCAR bumper stickers

     
  • At 11/30/2005 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    man, Against Me! is frickin' awesome.

    yrs-
    Evan!

     
  • At 11/30/2005 4:21 PM, Blogger Bryan said…

    Evan, I lost you in the crowd. I thought I had lost you forever!

    My back and arms are still sore from my horrible attempts to keep the crowd off of me and the monitors.

     
  • At 12/01/2005 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    CAMPER VAN BEETHOVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




    sorry, that was totally unnecessary

     
  • At 12/01/2005 6:01 PM, Blogger Skull-Shaped Maracas said…

    would have been to against me! but work kept me from havin' fun (again).

    glad to hear it was great (i knew it would be, dagnabbit), and that it went well for all involved, 'specially fer bryan the booking god .

     
  • At 12/01/2005 6:01 PM, Blogger Skull-Shaped Maracas said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12/01/2005 6:49 PM, Blogger miafrate said…

    The Against Me show was pretty good. Although they were the only band I saw. I wanted to see The Soviettes but had to leave for a while.

    Curious about the guarantee for the whole show package, though. No one seems to have access to that information. Would also be curious to hear about the ethics of the guarantee for this tour package, whate you all think about it, etc, in light of things that have been said before on here about "scene ethics."

    But since no one seems to have that info, except LJ presumably, maybe that sort of discussion is not possible?

    peace,
    mikey

     
  • At 12/01/2005 10:58 PM, Blogger Bryan said…

    I will find out and discuss with you all.

    For those wondering, I don't work with guarantees and did not want anything to do with the contract part of the show. That was passed to 123 and LJ handled that. I usually flat out deny bands with guarantees but sometimes make exceptions... like Against Me!

     
  • At 12/01/2005 11:05 PM, Blogger Bryan said…

    I'm also by no means a booking god, haha. Thanks for the kind words, though. I would like to say that Flanagan deserves just as much credit as I do. He made me a shit ton of free flyers and posted about 200 on his own. That kind of help is just too kind. A great lad indeed.

     
  • At 12/02/2005 11:43 AM, Blogger Skull-Shaped Maracas said…

    I had no idea Flannagan promoted this gig as well. Well-done.

     
  • At 12/03/2005 2:10 PM, Blogger Skull-Shaped Maracas said…

    "I think we should put an animated GIF of Calvin peeing on the Grafitti 'logo' (and I use the term loosely) a la NASCAR bumper stickers."

    Pennington: this is the best idea for COF I've heard yet -- trashy, but creative. We should also get stickers made and plaster this town (and Fairmont, and Charleston, and especially Parkersburg) with 'em.

    Did the Minx (amplifier) and cable work out okay?

     
  • At 12/06/2005 12:42 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    Yeah everything worked ok, although we ended up doing something different

     

Post a Comment

<< Home