Couches on Fire

A Morgantown Area Music and Culture Blog

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Grafitti & Halloween Weekend

People must wonder why I ever read Grafitti, but there's a stand right by the Subway I sometimes eat lunch at in Charleton, and damn that line is long. A couple of us here at Couches... used to write for Grafitti...well, not myself so that narrows it down. Anyway, I was always kind of annoyed that they replaced Mr. Jeremy "Christmas Magic" Groghan with the 'UnderDawg,' a fellow who speaks mostly in dog metaphors and ignores most of what happens in Morgantown if it doesn't happen at the Rosewood. Not that the Rosewood doesn't deserve some coverage, but it's certainly not the lone center of entertainment in our city. Anyway I noticed he's gotten slightly better, mentioning a couple of the bluegrassier shows to come to 123. In this week's installment he even mentions Paul Vallette and Mikey Iafrate, although he somehow manages to misspell BOTH of their names. Still, don't look a gift dawg in the mouth. Um, sorry.

He also briefly mentions the Night of the Dead Bands and Mayday!, which surprised me even more. Given, he ignored the fact that Descension Rate are playing their last show until January right before Mayday! and Librarians are playing as well. In fact, Librarians are more of a Halloween tradition then our own dance party is. I'm speaking of last year's kickass Sandra Black / Peter & the Pets / Librarians show at Chez Penningtron/Edgar/Kuntz (see this link for photographic evidence of said party - warning: scandalous Jeremy Groghan photos inside). I can't wait to see everyone come out and dress up. The aforementioned Dead Bands show should be a treat too. I've never actually had the pleasure of seeing any of the bands, although I have played in bands with two of the people who were in them. Draegerman, Uk and the Peckerheads (members of these are now in Finder and Nakano) were all institutions long before I called 123 my home away from home, but hopefully as the living dead they will still be as limber and agile as in life, and maybe even eat some brains.

123 will also be hosting a massive metal show on Sunday featuring Southern WV juggernauts Byzantine and Halo of Locusts (ex-Lamb of God) as well as a celebration on All Hallow's Eve proper, Monday night, featuring the hilarious Dr. Murph and Hogblast. One time Dr. Murph showed a strange Nordic film in which a happy Nordic girl performed oral sex on a sheep. I think it was a she-sheep. It was still pretty bizarre and funny. Also if you're looking for something to do tonight, Meuwl, Jathura and Nauseous will be performing at a Hip Hop Showcase at the old uno due tre this very evening.

The Rosewood is hosting a Friday-night comedy show (Nice Jewish Girls Gone Bad) and Sunday night SONiA & Disappear Fear will perform alongside Ryan Dunkerley. Disappear Fear apparently appeal to fans of folk, estrogen rock and Phish, so I think it will be a difficult decision for those waffling between this and the Byzantine show at 123.

Lastly but not least I wish Fuel and the Corner Cafe had websites but I did hear about a punk rawk show tonight at Fuel. Scandalous ska kids Cryptorchid Chipmunk are playing with Privates (sorry, I got caught up in the spirit of the moment), A Lesson Learned and JC & the latter Day Taints. I think all are Motown residents, although I remember thinking Privates are from Parkersburg for some reason. Anyway sorry to be writing more than my share but we should be adding some new bloggers soon so hopefully I can stop pestering you all soon.

6 Comments:

  • At 10/27/2005 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Something has told me to write letters to the Graffiti about "Da Dawg" (just thinking that name makes me vomit a little in the back of my throat) but seeing the rest of that shit, I can't say I honestly care about it anymore. To me, it's just like The Insider, haha.

    I have only heard Uk's cd but I've seen a couple of the Peckerheads' last shows (haha, just poking a little fun guys) and I have to admit that this is one of the few shows I've looked forward to in what is usually a lot stronger month for Morgantown music.

    All in all, very good coverage Mr. Pennington! I'm glad to see you included the Cryptorchid Chipmunk show. They are going on yet another long winter tour soon. All I can say is why must you remind me of the oral sex video? I remember it as a deer. Still creepy nonetheless.

    -Bryan

     
  • At 10/28/2005 9:38 AM, Blogger Brian said…

    Actually, you're right, I think it was a reindeer. I am not a man known for his photographic memory. It's too bad you didn't make it to The Planet The show, they kind of snuck in there but they were well worth rearranging my whole work schedule around seeing.

     
  • At 10/28/2005 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pennington - Thanks for the shout outs on that show. Due to some recent events and just general, frantic disorganization, I've not been able to promote it very well, but word seems to travel pretty fast... which rules. Nice summary on the whole weekend, too!

    Bryan - ha! I consider myself poked. I like to think that the peckerheads are in the "63 Eyes Stage" of our career, meaning that every now and then, we get together, write some shit and play a set. In this case, we haven't actually written anything, but we're going to play again in November or December and hopefully some of the stuff I have from my 4-track ramblings will make that set...

    Lastly, the Graffiti is a sad, sad, hollow shell of its former self. Its a shame that Ogden bought it, but my impression is that whats his face, the former editor, just didn't want to do it anymore... In correspondence with H. John, we reflected on its demise, but like myself, its his opinion that this is part of the inevitable homogenization of media. Sucks, eh?

    Thanks again,
    Evan!

     
  • At 10/28/2005 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just to stick it in there, and perhaps to break it off, Treasure Cat and Thred will be playing the annual Brew Pub Halloween Costume thing (On Monday), but there was really no advertizing, so we're retarded. Still though, Metal + FunkRock + Half naked chicks dressed all suggestively + beer = Fun, and gawking.
    Something NOT TO BE MISSED however, is coming the next night (Nov 1st) to 123 Pleasant Street. It's the Andy Pickens Filmstravaganza! Along with a showcase of all of Andy's award winning movies, his band Krueger's Circle Jerk will be playing, as well as 8-bitz & Members of The Emergency. If you know Andy and his movies, you won't want to miss this, if you don't know, you should, dorktron. As an added bonus He'll be selling a DVD with all his movies plus extras, commentary and all kinds of crap.
    Well, have a good weekend, scare some kids, give out some candy, pass out in public whilst costumed, and like the bearded lady said, have fun with it!

     
  • At 10/28/2005 1:33 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    Whoah a dvd with commentary! That's nuts. Slick, slick, slick. Wish I could make it but I'll be sitting right here in my office, staring at my powder blue pencil hedgehog as usual. Maybe Groghan's going. I'll try to add those events on as soon as I get some time at work.

     
  • At 11/02/2005 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    privates are from marietta, ohio (right across the river from parkersburg). one stayed in our apartment, two counting a 16 yr old who got into the show by pretending to be in the band (who then added me as his guest list spot!). they are also awesome.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home