Couches on Fire

A Morgantown Area Music and Culture Blog

Monday, October 03, 2005

Your mouth and hands they look exactly the same

Children of the fierytown,

Lo and behold I examined the online edition of the 123 Gazette to discover that The Planet The are Morganbound this month. Who on Earth are The Planet The? I'm honestly not quite sure, but I do know that their "High School Hands" is one of the weirdest, trippiest pieces of nonsensical vocoder-funk slow jams I have ever heard, and in my list of 3,500+ MP3s it ranks oh so close to the very top on my play count. That's the 00's version of desert island discs, for the luddites out there. It's like slowdancing with a cracked computer in a psych ward.

The show is on October 24th, and also gracing the stage will be the Red Oranges, Xylen Robertson and wunderkind Dave "David" Bello. Does anyone know anything about anybody who's playing that night? I'm thinking I'll be finding a way to rearrange my work schedule and come to this show. I just can't imagine what The Planet The must be like live, especially remembering how Pitschforke described them as proggy. Proggy! That was back in '03 and now they appear to be aping Braniac and Devo. Evidently they signed the Xiu Xiu's label since I've heard from them. Sign me up.

Oh and I think the weekend's shows went off pretty swimmingly. Mayday! was well-attended despite various cancellations, Crothers reports the Emergency show was reasonably stocked with folks and although I missed both openers Saturday, the Walkmen were surprisingly excellent. Not that they're bad per se, I just remember seeing them back in ought ought with Interpol and My Favorite (who were my personal favorite and actually headlined) and being nonplussed.

5 Comments:

  • At 10/03/2005 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    if you're really curious in knowing, I'm the one who booked The Planet The...I originally wanted 31 Knots to play, but they were booked out the ass and their agent asked me a little later if I thought TPT could play somewhere.

    not that i want the credit or anything...

    (**)

    -PD

     
  • At 10/03/2005 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Brian, this is Dylan Balliett. Patrick Dolan set that show up but I'm also somewhat involved. The Red Oranges are a wacky, fun instrumental math-rock band from my hometown of Shepherdstown. I've seen them many times and they're shows are always energetic and fun, so I asked them to headline since The Planet The's booking agency requested that they play between two other bands' sets. Xylen Roberts is Chris Robertson, an extremely talented pianist who plays bizarre but amazing shoegazery pop-tunes on cheap, old keyboards. This is his MySpace site. David Bello is David Bello! I think he might be playing solo but he could also be playing with the band ... We're not sure yet.

     
  • At 10/03/2005 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Okay, looks like Patrick already responded. Looks like I also spelled "their" wrong. I've become everything I hate!

     
  • At 10/04/2005 9:21 AM, Blogger Brian said…

    Awesome! Seriously, Patrick, kudos for the choice. I don't know 31 Knots but that little The Planet The MP3 has been burning up my hard drive for a year or so and I'm psyched to see them now. 123 and Morgantown in general need more diverse people booking shows, and I'm glad to hear some of that is taking place.

     
  • At 10/04/2005 9:22 AM, Blogger Brian said…

    Oh and thanks Dylan for the info on the other bands, I'll be checking out some myspace pages today at work it looks like...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home