Couches on Fire

A Morgantown Area Music and Culture Blog

Friday, September 09, 2005

Editorial: Taking a crack at NOT starting on time. The Emergency in the DA, 9 September, 2005

Despite our efforts to start shows at a reasonable hour, it's evident from this article (titled "The Emergency Should Drop New Album by Winter" by Leann Ray) that at least one member of one Morgantown band would rather "wait for the crowd to show up," despite what any ad or flyer says.

Quoth the DA:

Anyone who regularly attends The Emergency's shows knows that the band usually plays well past 2 a.m. However, many people are unhappy about shows not starting at the posted time of 10 p.m. "The way I feel about it, I don't care playing past 2 a.m.," said Crothers. "It's a rock show. It's the weekend. What are you going to do?" "Rock starts at 11. You wait for the crowd. You want the first band to have a crowd. The Emergency doesn't give a damn as long as we don't have to work the next day," he said.

***

Not only do I wholehartedly disagree with this statement, but I have a couple of myths to dispel:

Myth: Sure, other towns have gigs that start (and end) on time, but shows starts late in Morgantown. That's the way it's always been.

Fact: Bar shows at the The Underground Railroad ('82-'88) started at 9:30/10 consistently. All-ages shows at the Dry House (and later the Machine Shop) began at 6/7 PM. The late-night rock and roll syndrome began at the Nyabinghi (under Greg Barrett, not Ras Johnny); it can't be denied that Greg -- as much as I've enjoyed his company -- really let that place fall apart, physically and psychically. This "late-night-in-Morgantown" syndrome is essentially a holdover from that era.

Why? Because even music lovers who work in the morning (even on weekend mornings) need music in their lives; I've never understood the correlation between seeing a live band and staying out 'til 4AM.

Myth: You need to wait for the crowd to show up.

Fact: One of the main functions of promotional materials (flyers, etc.) is to inform the folks in your town when the show is going to start. It worked the last time I played at 123: I posted 10:30 PM on the flyer for a show that had three bands on the bill (as opposed to the four bands on this evening's bill); I began at 10:30, and I was perfectly happy with the (large) amount of people who turned up to watch me play.

Why? Because when one promotes a show, there's an unpsoken contract between the promoter and the audience; if a flyer has certain information on it, the audience will trust that information and act accordingly. Plus, if your "crowd" (put in quotes because it's a term I'm not exactly comfortable with) likes you enough, they'll turn up for your gigs at any time, day or night. A band as popular as the Emergency should have no problem taking control of when people show up to see their performances.

***

Before you dismiss me as some sort of self-righteous punker-than-thou type, please know that yes, I feel that everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what time shows should start, and how a band conducts its business is no-one else's concern.

However, I'm entitled to respectfully disagree with anyone's philosophies, and I'm more than entitled to point out the fact that Brother Crothers' statements (It's a rock show. It's the weekend. What are you going to do?, rock starts at 11, you wait for the crowd, and the Emergency doesn't give a damn as long as we don't have to work the next day) are not only disrespectful to the other bands on the bill (there are three openers -- and the gig's gonna start at 11?) but to the audience as well (the flyer says 10, first band starts at 11), especially when you consider the fact that the Emergency are -- due to a lot of hard work, brilliant ensemble playing, and great songs --considered to be the "flagship" band of the Morgantown indie scene.

A lot of local musicans (myself included) are happy to be associated with the Emergency (heck, they're good pals of mine -- but sometimes a pal has got to call another pal out, that's what pals are for, right?), but, in a worst-but-probable-case scenario the random DA reader may very well walk away from the article with the assumption that every underground musician (and venue) in Morgantown has that same philosophy.

And therein lies the rub; the statements in this article have the potential to damage and undermine my (and Brian's, and Mikey's, and Nakano's, and the SJ5's, and Librarians') efforts to start our gigs on time.

And I can't help but feel slighted by the whole thing.

12 Comments:

  • At 9/11/2005 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Everyone wins if you start the shows early. The bands can play entire sets, the bar can make more money by having people show up before 11pm and the crowd can choose to stay and drink, go to an after party or get some sleep when the show is over.
    I honestly don't believe Crother's meant any disrespect to the other musicians involved in this endeavor. Nor do I believe it will be difficult to gather a crowd at 10pm.
    So here we go.

     
  • At 9/12/2005 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    no, he was by no means malicious about it. nonetheless, when i read it i couldn't help but shake my head and go: "motherfucker..."

    and the article struck me as especially odd, considering rob is always keen on getting opening bands at emergency shows to start at around 10/10:30.

    keep on keepin' on.

     
  • At 9/12/2005 5:36 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    I had the pleasure of watching ye olde WVU football game with Mssr. Crothers, as well as my grandpa, uncle Jeff and dad. He broached the subject before I mentioned it, and made it clear that his statements were taken out of context. I think the lovely and talented Miss Leann was victim of some creative editing unfortunately.

    My interpretation of the article is that Aaron's response to the question of the recent starting early hubbub was a sort "Shucks, what can you do?" attitude that I think a lot of people share. The only way to make people realize it's feasible is to continue to put our money where our mouths are. Additionally, Aaron said the Emergency will be taking steps to make sure their 9/30 Rosewood show, which is happening simultaneously with Mayday!, will be out by midnight. It should be an interesting test of principle in action. That said, I do hope some people come out to see Pittsburgh's the Sexes, as they're an excellent up-and-coming band I think a lot of people here would love and it'd be sad if a Rosewood show siphoned off most of their early crowd.

     
  • At 9/12/2005 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i was sitting right next to aaron when he was being interviewed for this article [over the phone], and i think that the article did take it out of context a little. his intentions weren't malicious or disrespectful to acts trying to start on time. it was more like he was being respectful to opening bands having to perform when no one has shown up yet [which i can understand]. i'm sure everyone can agree that what needs to happen is to have the people show up on time so the show can get started.

    -matt pryor

     
  • At 9/12/2005 11:47 PM, Blogger miafrate said…

    Let's have shows at lunchtime.
    _mikey

     
  • At 9/13/2005 9:41 AM, Blogger Brian said…

    I'll make some crumpets if you make the tea, Mikey

     
  • At 9/14/2005 11:32 PM, Blogger miafrate said…

    fuck tea - we drinkin tang!

     
  • At 9/15/2005 6:15 PM, Blogger Skull-Shaped Maracas said…

    lunchtime shows would actually be pretty cool. like, something quiet but not necessarily acoustic... i'm glad that all my bitching and moaning ultimately became the germ of a good idea

     
  • At 9/20/2005 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rob here. Yes, Crothers is a bit pissed about the article. He told me he was taken out of context and misquoted a bit. I don't blame Leann really either. It just came off in print the wrong way. I dunno, I wasn't there for the interview. However, I do know that we here at Camp Emergency meant no disrespect to anyone or any band And I know we've been photographed more than Jesus Christ (see Mr. Show..chuckle). Believe me, I would love to start things earlier. But how? The problem we've had (99.9% with out of town bands) is when I approach a band and tell them "Hey, I guess you guys should go on around 10" (I actually mean 10:30, I say that to get them in gear quicker). After that I usually get a "Yeah, that's cool, we'll do that" and then somewhere around 11:15 the opener goes on. People drag their feet or just have no concept of time. So, I've tried, believe me! Another problem that's not the crowd arrival situation, is band set up and tear down time. We as bands need to make more of an effort to really hustle when we are setting up and when we are done playing so the next band can get on. This situation has improved honestly compared to when I started playing shows but we need to get off and on the stage like missiles are coming right at us. I think we all do a decent job at this but I think all of us as musicians could step it up even more. I'm not pointing any fingers, but let's be honest, all of us have stood up there on stage after playing and one of our drunk/high/crazy friends jumps up and procedes to talk about equipment or drugs or how awesome the night is or whatever for a long while and it eats time when we should be getting our gear and going. The Emergency is guilty of talking too fucking much in between songs, we should probably stop that too, but geez I get crunk up there and then I loose all concept of time and I start blarbering about dumb crap. Anyway, I rambling, crap I did it again! I didn't really help did I?

     
  • At 9/20/2005 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    is somebody really actually upset at crother's quote? wow. anyway...i know that just about any time my band has had an opener and i've asked them to go on when the house is empty, they usually don't seem too thrilled. can't really blame bands for not wanting to play to nobody. plus in a way, its not really fair to anybody who might actually already be at the bar at 10:00...they have to listen to all the not-the-best-songs while waiting for everyone else to show up (you all know it's true). in my opinion, we have ourselves a bit of a vicious cycle here: people don't show up at bar til 11=no show really starts at 10 (we all know we only really even put 10 o'clock on there to get people there by 11 any way). show always starting later than advertised= people never arriving at advertised time. call it a contract, but i never signed anything. and lunchtime shows? you can't get drunk at lunch, man!

     
  • At 9/21/2005 11:27 AM, Blogger Skull-Shaped Maracas said…

    just saw rob's quote now. rambling? maybe. but some good points were made -- especially about overly long setups and teardowns.

    one solution would be for the person who booked the shows to help. i usually make a point to help whoever i'm playing with move the gear. it only takes a few minutes, and if a few people (outside the bad) help, it cuts teardown/setup in half.

    considering i have a storehouse of gear to carry, set up, and tear down, (when I drive to shows, it looks like a music store exploded in my car) i'll welcome any help, and the sweet thing is, i usually don't have to ask.

    also, crothers just called me on the phone, and it's cool. but then, it's always been cool.

    much respect to the emergency folks for weighing in.

     
  • At 9/26/2005 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is Mark Miller (Bowling League)
    I've debated about ever mentioning this, but I simply have to point out that I've always made the effort to start shows at the times I've posted them(even before our recent campaign.. ever since MAMA really), and consequently this has caused many people to repeatedly miss my bands sets because they either lost track of time or didn't believe me when I told them we were starting at 10:00 or they hadn't got off work yet. This at one point caused me to be very upset and I kinda told some people off. I feel bad about that, I apologize to anyone who felt my wrath in that situation. I was kinda out of line. But nonethelss it's the price I pay for running shows on time and being fair to the other bands involved (it was the first time we'd played and I didn't think it would be fair to take a headlining spot simply because I'd organized the show, I gave the Headling spots to the touring band (monet. madrid. madagascar) and Maximum Headlessness because I felt they deserved the crowd more.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home