Couches on Fire

A Morgantown Area Music and Culture Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

A Panoply of Musical Events

Dear Readers,
Well, those of you who didn't stop reading after our holiday abatement, anyway. I just wanted to throw a few forthcoming events out there that I thought were worth paying some attention to, some of which you may not be aware of. One is tomorrow night, and it's quite a packed bill. Harm will be headlining, and I don't know how they make their current incarnation, but I know John Lancia used to make synthy indiepop with them back in his Pittsburgh days, and speaking of John, 8bitz will be playing the show as well, possibly the biggest draw. Philadelphia's Squares will be coming down too and the local openers will include David Bello and Xylen Roberts. Dave has been playing some new songs out lately and Xylen Roberts hasn't played a show in a while, so I'm looking forward to seeing both of them if I can kick this cold I've gotten.

I also wanted to give a heads up to you all for next week. Tuesday is of course Camper Van Beethoven, one of the 80's college rock scene's most beloved and wackiest, whose Take the Skinheads Bowling can be heard during Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine, among other places. Thursday is a last minute DJ event that's being put on by Brian Connely, who sometimes spins with us at Mayday!. It's called Bombscare, and will feature four different DJs spinning house, trance, drum n bass and techno. I know that the electronic music community in Motown is very loose and has been trying to coalesce and do something, so I hope people come out and support them so that they can keep doing things like this. Brian will also be appearing alongside myself, Jeremy and musical guest Girl Talk at Mayday! on Saturday.

So to sum it up, a night of synthpop, a night of electronic dance music, and a blast from the past that we should be thankful is making a stop in our bonnie wee town.

5 Comments:

  • At 1/16/2006 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Saturday @ Mayday was fun (just so's ya know).

     
  • At 1/17/2006 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you guys need to step up the article frequency. whattya doing with yourselves? huh?

    yrs-
    Evan!

     
  • At 1/17/2006 2:03 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    I'm planning on writing a review of Camper Van B., it's not like this is my personal blog. No one else seems to give a crap...

    Oh and Eir-Anne, I'm glad that you had a good time. I think that was the most I've been able to relax and enjoy myself at Mayday! ever.

     
  • At 1/17/2006 2:08 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    No one else as in none of the other people who write for this blog, not the readers

     
  • At 1/17/2006 2:35 PM, Blogger miafrate said…

    I'm w/ Evan! How about a preview of Friday's show?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home