Couches on Fire

A Morgantown Area Music and Culture Blog

Monday, March 27, 2006

The virtue of the right venue?

I like that I live in a town where "I didn't catch alot of music this past weekend", means I only saw two shows.

I started out at 123 Pleasant St. on Saturday night for the Hackensaw Boys/Morgantown Rounders show. The Morgantown Rounders are really cooking right now. They played a short and sweet support set which was in contrast to their all-night St. Patty's Day throwdown I had seen the week prior. The energy at both shows tops anything I'd ever seen from them in their "home venue" of the Rosewood. The crowd was large, hooked up with the band, and ready to get down. The Hackensaw Boys delivered an hour and half set that gave all in the room exactly what they came for: a two hour dance party of sing-along heavy bluegrass.

Both crowds were here for the band. They came for the music first, and the party second which leads to attentiveness and activeness on the audience's part. I for one, feel a good show starts with the crowd feeling like they are participating rather than observing.

I found out that such was not the case in all situations.

At setbreak I headed up the street to catch part of Thred's set at Chic n' Bones. Now, I don't frequent Chic n' Bones and other bars of that ilk, something I'm pretty sure I share in common with most of the people who co-habitate in this corner of the web. For me, if it's not a place I see live music, I don't really go. Now, recently Chic n' Bones has added a huge new room that is very, very nice. It has a high stage, a big dancefloor and an elevated bar that stretches the length of the back wall. It's the kind of room that in a bigger city would book exclusively mid-range national acts. I'm not sure what the capacity is, but I'm sure it's pretty big. It strikes me as twice as big as the Rosewood, and much more polished.

So here's Thred, ripping away with their origional brand of funk on a nice stage, in a nice room, getting a nice guarentee, and playing to hundreds of people who are doing everything in their power to pay as little attention as posisble. Hell, with the bar positioned as it is half the room have their backs to the band.

Now, these people didn't come to listen to music. They're here to get wasted and laid. Band? Music? Who cares. In fact, there is now a new line inside the bar to get back into the "old room" which is more suited for simply sitting and drinking.

On one hand, the band is being paid nicely (though I beleive had to bring their own sound), it's a nice room, and there are alot of people there. To grow as a band you have to expand your audience past your friends, roommates and non-gender-specific significant others, but at what cost?

The question is: is this type of gig a good gig for a local band who plays origional music?

9 Comments:

  • At 3/28/2006 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The answer is....

    kinda complicated. That venue is definitley a strange one, but if it's done right, I think a good show can be had there. That night, pretty much everything that could go wrong went wrong. We ended up having to switch from being the headliner to the opener because we were told, the night before, that the other band wouldn't be there until 11:30. Now at Chic N' Bones the main guys there want music, and they want it at 10 O 'clock sharp. And they're dicks about it. So our whole crowd, who thought it was our show and that we'd be going on about 11:30, or midnight, showed up pretty much around the time we were playing our last song. Sucked balls. But it is my belief that if you get enough music lovers in there, the sentiment slowly creeps through most everyone there until most of the uberdouche formalities are forgotten about because people are having....gasp! GENUINE FUN!!!
    On the other hand sound is a pain in the ass there. Robert from Squirrel refuses to run sound there. Everyone complained about sound problems all night. So getting good sound in that cavernous room is rough. Oh and the capper, they paid us with a fucking check.

    So I guess overall, the answer is more or less, no.

     
  • At 3/29/2006 4:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It seems like there are a bunch of places that want to get a piece of the live venue pie, but simply don't understand the way it works.
    My take on the majority of folks in town is that they don't care about live original music until they've heard it confirmed by some respected source that said band is "good." They'd all much rather hear a crappy cover band to an orginal band.. I know this from personal experience. I had a co-worker who sang for a cover band and got all sorts of attention... I on the other hand sing and play guitar and write all the songs and do all the booking for what I think is at least a semi-innovative original band and no one cared a lick (except the boss and the HS kids who worked there) I don't know what that has to do with anything....
    I think my point is that most people prefer a cover band to an original band. I think the best solution to this would be to take a page out of 63 eyes book and every original band should form a cover band on the side comprised of the same members, so that they can then double book themselves with the cover act playing first.. by the time the originals come out everyone is so wasted you could tell them that all the songs were by lynrd skynrd or OAR or whoever the crowd seemed to want to actually see and they'd never even know... at least that's my plan if it ever gets going.
    Does anyone know anything about Winston's I've heard they book live bands and pay them all way too much? I'd figure it'd be a simiar situation to chic n bones.

    Who wants to start a Pixies et al cover band with me?

     
  • At 4/03/2006 5:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've played at the Winstons in Fairmont. We do really good in there. They pay 75% of the door and they get PACKED no matter who is playing. It's not a bad venue.. (Just make sure that you bring your own door guy) We don't generally play cover tunes. At least not the type of cover tunes that usually come to mind. And being a totally acoustic bluegrass band... we always have a couple of complaints that we aren't loud enough. It's usually some lazy, crabby drunk in the back who is pissed about the cover charge. I told them to take it up with management. If they want it louder they should supply the sound system. Right?

    Anyway, The acoustics in the fairmont winstons are GREAT! As for the Mo-Town Winstons.. We havent played there yet. We are booked there on Friday April 7th so I'll let y'all know the skinny once i've checked it out.

    Safe & Happy Travels

    Trae Buckner ~ "The Hillbilly Gypsies"

    http://www.thehillbillygypsies.com/

     
  • At 4/04/2006 6:02 PM, Blogger Skull-Shaped Maracas said…

    gene's in south park has shows once in a while as well: owen davis (backed by mark poole and acavalcade of local stars), triple shot, todd burge, brian porterfield, clem snide, langhorne slim. the shows are always free too.

    me and the emergency are gonna play there in may sometime.

     
  • At 4/04/2006 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that is totally sweet if Gene's gets in on the act. I could totally walk home from there.. I'd heard that they didn't want to mess with too many bands, but I hope that they really get into it, which they should. Especially when you consider that there are at least 5 bands that all practice or live within a 5 block radius of that plase. It has the real potential to be a stellar spot for intimate shows where we try out new stuff and just generally get crazy. I hope Clem Snide comes by again. That was seriously about the most fun I've ever had at a show.

     
  • At 4/06/2006 2:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I guess that I'll have to take back the Cudos from Winstons.

    They Canceled us due to a double booking. I guess "Jay" the guy who did the booking got fired. Now they've got some noob in the and their bookings are all messed up.

    Oh well....


    Trae Buckner ~ "The Hillbilly Gypsies"

    http://www.thehillbillygypsies.com

     
  • At 4/06/2006 3:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh.. I forgot to mention... We are still booked for the Morgantown Winstons on Friday. So, i'll let you know how it goes.

    Trae Buckner ~ "The Hillbilly Gypsies"

    http://www.thehillbillygypsies.com/

     
  • At 4/08/2006 1:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well. I jast got back from the Mo-Town Winstons Gig.. I will say this.. The have a nice satge and dance floor. Like Chic-n-bones, the "regular crowd has the get drunk/get laid mentality. But we usually bring our own following so the management was impressed with that. Anyway, besides the fact that you have to bring your own sound system and your own crowd. All in all the venue was not so bad. I could see the mo-town Winstons becoming a great place for local bands to try new things and offer a show in an intimate setting. Well thats enough of my ramblings... I've had one too many Newcastle Brown ale's tonight and need to lay my weary head down. We're off to the Purple Fiddle in Thomas, WV tomorrow so I'll catch you all on the flip side!!

    Trae Buckner ~ "The Hillbilly Gypsies"

    http://www.thehillbillygypsies.com/

     
  • At 4/12/2006 8:46 PM, Blogger Skull-Shaped Maracas said…

    house shows... we need house shows... morgantown lacks house shows...someone should donate their house... a small thing to ask... house shows...*droooool....*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home