Couches on Fire

A Morgantown Area Music and Culture Blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A weekend of surprises...

Had a suprisingly good time this weekend.

Didn't really plan on it being a rager, but it ended up that way nonetheless.

Caught Baltimore's All Mighty Senators on Friday night at 123 and they delivered, as usual. With no opener, and no local dates in almost a year, there was the very real possibility that this town could have forgotten about this band. Turned out to be just the opposite. By the time the Senators hit the stage around 11:30 the place was packed to the gills, and energy of an excited audience was palpable. Many folks around me were talking about how long it had been since they'd seen the Senators, or that they remembered great times seeing them way back when. Such was the same for this guy as well, as the evening as a whole seemed like a very real night in my life a few years ago, with a lot of old friends who I rarely run into at shows any more coming out of hiding for this one. The show was fantastic from start to finish. Guitar player Warren Boes may be the band's unsung hero sliding effortlessly back and forth between funky rhtyhms and blazing soloing, but all eyes are still on frontman Landis Expandis. AMS tore through most of their catalogue as well as Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire", ZZ Top's "Tush" and fan favorite "Rocky Top", delivering over two hours straight of their patented brand of rock and soul. Let's hope it doesn't take them nearly as long to get back.

Saturday brought to town the flat-picking fireworks of Larry Keel and Natural Bridge, as well as the exciting collision of the Emergency and MAYDAY!

I started at the Rosewood, and was instantly impressed with the turnout. Both types of Rosewood patrons were well represented: the sitters and the yee-haw factor. You can put me in the second catagory, one I found woefully unrepresented at Keel's last local apperance, where I felt my drinking, dancing, and enthusiasm were unwanted by some in the audience. Keel and company tore through number after number at a breakneck speed, rarely slowing down for a quiet moment. When he did, it was a cover of Mother Nature's Son delivered in his trademark low gravelly drawl. I checked my watch, and knowing that Keel would play for hours, I decided to get a move on and head down to 123 for what all involved promised would be a very special Emergency show.

They were right.

In honor of one skull shaped seventeenth brithday, the Emergency brought us a set comprised almost entirely of pop culture nuggetts gleaned from the likes of Husker Du, Wire, Belle and Sebastian, and the Pixies among others. I'm not afraid to admit that I barely recognized any of the tunes, myself. However, I greatly appreciates what it represents. Not only did the Emergency pay tribute to a pillar of the Morgantown scene, they are also exhibited their ability and desire to throw their audience a curveball every once and awhile, something I heartilty applaud.

Few bands, local or otherwise, deviate from the norm. They do what they do, and rarely make a concious decision from deviate from that. That's great. Especially when, like the Emergency, they're good at what they do. But a local band depends on repeat attendance, and in order to acheive that, one has to keep their audience on their toes.


After over a half hour of covers the Emergency brought us a closing trio of "Lie Detecter", "Sharper Chins Will Previal" (my favorite Emergency tune, not that you asked) and "Channel U". And that was it, time for the dance party. I, for one, could have used a couple of more tunes but I'm greedy that way. The best thing about Saturday's show was that the Emergency pushed the envelope, and upheld the number one rule of rock: leave them wanting more.

I spent the rest of the night split between the two bars catching the last 45 minutes or so of Larry Keel before returning to the dance party. The MAYDAY! scene was cool, and though I'm not much of a DJ guy, I was impressed at how raging the dance party was. I dug the light show and the songs, and the party in general. All told it was a weekend full of surprises, though in the end the biggest surprise was how much people like "Come On Eileen".

As usual, I saw some great shows at the expense of missing shows that were worth seeing. I missed the Marinelli/ECFOP/Ish/Bowling League stack-up, Star City Orchestra, Strung Out String Band and Todd Burge. All shows I would have liked to catch. Did any of you see these shows? How were they?

10 Comments:

  • At 2/23/2006 11:01 AM, Blogger Brian said…

    When you say Brewpub did you mean 123? I thought the AMS were playing at 123. Nice review of the 'Mergency / Mayday! pairing, Aaron. Funnily enough, someone later asked me to play "Come on Eileen" a second time, knowing that I'd already played it once.

    I was at the Fuel show and I had a great time. Fuel's always been a bit cramped (since back when it was the Liquid Lounge) and the sound isn't the best, but it was reasonably ok. The bands were great if a little on the loud side thanks to the small quarters and sound, and the turnout was good. I wish their beer was cheaper but you can't have it all.

     
  • At 2/23/2006 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What Pixies song was it that the Emergency covered?



    I have to ask this anonymously.

     
  • At 2/23/2006 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you're so right brian, it was 123, it's been corrected (gotta love that internet!). when i got around to write this the events of the weekend had become a little blurry (like the photos) due to a lot of things.

     
  • At 2/23/2006 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ps - here's a picture of you brian. i have a bigger version on my machine at home, that looks really cool and psychedelic. unfortunately it lost it's appeal when it was made really small to be put online so i didn't include it.

    http://www.geocities.com/aaron_j_hawley/couches/mayday.JPG

     
  • At 2/23/2006 5:06 PM, Blogger Skull-Shaped Maracas said…

    yeah, from a performer's standpoint, i prefer the 123 to fuel; but then, i prefer the 123 to just about anywhere else in town.

     
  • At 2/23/2006 11:09 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    Whoah that picture is awesome, Aaron! That's going on my profile somewhere. You should join Flickr to share your photos. I won't go into why because I'll sound like an advertisement but it's like myspace for photos.

     
  • At 2/24/2006 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There were a ton of shows on the same night as AMS, and I'm told that they all got a pretty decent attendance. Which proves that Morgantown can in fact support multiple venues. Granted the shows may not have had much over lap in crowd appeal but it was a great night for music.
    this is my count of the night:
    FUEL- Bowling League, ECFOP, Ish,
    J Marinelli
    123- AMS
    Corner Cafe- Hello Cantaloupe and
    Walking out blind
    then there was the other more folk oriented show...

    That's 4 shows, folks, that all got good turnouts.

    As far as the quality of Fuel, here's my two cents:
    As a musician who's projects seem to be eternally in fledgling stage constantly fighting for attendance, I really like Fuel. As I've told many people I can play there and feel good about myself at the end of the night. I really don't feel like playing at 123 anymore, unless a more established band invites me to play with them, or I become a more established band. My ego just can't handle another night at 123 with 4 people in the center room. If you're trying to get a following or can't draw the neccesary numbers to fill pleasant street (and it takes at leas 100 people, or 70 -80 people that care more about your set thean drinking) Fuel is a great alternative. We packed in about 60 or 70 people and yeah it was pretty cozy, but that's how I like it. I can feel accomplished after packing 60 to 70 people in there, it's nice to look out into the crowd and not know what color the floor is or where all the spilled beer is.
    J and I have spoken about this venue and we both like it a "nice" (relatively speaking) crusty punk/rock club. The sound is non-existant unless you bring your own or get someone to help you run it (thanks so much Paul) but I think it's got a good vibe.
    I'd be cool to have a comparison of all the venues in town. I'd be willing to collaborate on that with anyone who's willing.
    Anyways, to any musicians who can't quite get the respect they think they deserve at 123 then I encourage you to call up Bob Lightner at Fuel and set something up there. Like I said the downside is the lack of PA and the high cost of beer, but maybe if we can pack the place out enough, they'll coform to our way of thinking when it comes to rock venues.

     
  • At 2/25/2006 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    aaron hawley is my hero....will you go out with me?

    aaron crothers

     
  • At 2/26/2006 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anonymous and anyone else curious, here's what we covered at Mayday

    She's Lost Control - Joy Division
    Academy Fight Song - Mission of Burma
    Outdoor Miner - Wire
    It Could Have Been a Brilliant Career - Belle and Sebastian
    Pink Turns to Blue - Husker Du
    Distance = Rate X Time - The Pixies

    Twas Fun...

    Rob W.

     
  • At 3/02/2006 2:41 PM, Blogger Skull-Shaped Maracas said…

    bravo!

    you guys took that B&S song and beat it within an inch of its life! well done!

    *j*

    ps. i love belle and sebastian

     

Post a Comment

<< Home